Our Commitment to the Environment
Everyone likes to talk about “going green” and doing their part to save the environment but at Merlin we do more than just talk. We recycle 100% of all the paper that we shred. That’s significant; last year alone we shredded & recycled 658 metric tons of paper & in the process saved 11,186 trees.
All shredded matter is processed at a recycling plant in Edmonton. The paper is securely transferred to a swathing machine that further destroys the fragments and intermixes batches of contents to further disperse the fragments by intermixing multiple bin loads. Then the swathed and co-mixed fragments are compressed and collected into bales by a baling machine. This process is conducted under 24 / 7 human and video recorded surveillance. The bales are loaded under the same supervision into commercial freight transport containers and transported to the North American paper mills where the shredded materials are manufactured into a host of new products.
However, our impact on the environment is more than just saving trees. What many people don’t realize is that the process to turn trees into paper requires a significant amount of energy and water and it also adds pollutants into our air. Consider this: recycling just one ton of paper saves about 7,000 gallons of water and 4,100 kilowatt hours of electricity. (See list A below)
So how did our paper recycling impact the environment? Besides saving over eleven (11) thousand trees we also saved over 4.5 million gallons of water, 2.6 million kilowatts of electricity, nearly 2 thousand cubic yards of landfill, 1.3 thousand gallons of oil and stopped nearly 39 thousand pounds of pollutants from being released into the air. (See list B below)
A. One Ton Of Recycled Paper Saves
- 7,000 Gallons of Water
- 4,100 Kilowatts of Electricity
- 60 Pounds of Air Pollutants
- 17 Trees
- 3 Cubic Yards of Landfill
- 2 Gallons of Oil
B. Our Recycling Efforts Last Year Saved
- 4,606,000 Gallons of Water
- 2,697,800 Kilowatts of Electricity
- 39,480 Pounds of Air Pollutants
- 11,186 Trees
- 1,974 Cubic Yards of Landfill
- 1,316 Gallons of Oil
Merlin Shredding is Green Certified
As members of Green Certified Web Organization, Merlin Shredding demonstrates our consideration for the environment in everything we do, constantly making improvements to our day to day business practices. In doing so, we strive to reduce our carbon footprint and make a positive difference wherever possible. Our subscription to this affiliation provides us with ongoing education on current and emerging sustainable management techniques, as well as trends to consider implementing within our company.
Upgrades Made to Our Mobile Shred Trucks
- Idle-down switches: These switches lower the idle on the trucks throughout the paper shredding process to reduce fuel and energy consumption.
- Eco-friendly oils and lubricants are used in all Merlin Shredding shred trucks: i.e. – we use Enos motor oil that is a high performance synthetic engine oil which contributes to increased cleanliness, fuel economy and reduced emissions.
- We also use HETG hydraulic oil that is entirely biodegradable. It contains no metal based additives, therefore eliminating waste water contamination caused by metals. Furthermore, grease compounds used in the shredders are XL-9000 Ecosynthetic Compound. All substances are non toxic, non bio-accumulators and are biodegradable.
Collection Containers are Recycled
Collection containers are 100% recycled once they are removed from service. This may be done in a variety of ways, including:
Repurposing for alternative uses
Broken down and used to maintain containers that are currently in service
Recycled for the production of new products
Changes in the Office
- Billing is completed electronically, minimizing the volume of paper being used on a regular basis. All invoices are done digitally to reduce the use of postal services.
- Email and fax correspondence is utilized as often as possible, again, to limit paper use.
- Recycled paper is used throughout the office and in our printed material, i.e. business cards, service forms, brochures, etc.
- Paper is shred securely and recycled in a responsible manner.
Assist other companies with their green initiatives by:
- Guiding them in starting a recycling program for paper.
- Upgrading their current recycling program by teaching them to use larger containers and less frequent pick-ups, decreasing the number of times trucks visit their business.
- Cutting back on paper by implementing electronic billing.
Want to Know About Your Commitment To The Environment?
Upon request we will give our clients their own report that gives a breakdown (just like the one in the chart above) of their organization’s recycling efforts, based on the amount of paper we have shredded for them.
In addition to our commitment to recycling we are also subscribed to the “Green Certified Business” rating by www.GreenCertifiedWeb.org. That means Merlin Shredding is an “Eco-Friendly” business which “has integrated sustainable processes into their business and is committed to doing even more to preserve natural resources in their day to day business practice.”
3 Things You Can do to help Save the Environment
So what can you do to help the environment? Here’s three simple things you can do to make a significant impact:
1. Recycle – Everyone knows about the essential items they should be recycling at home like paper, plastics, glass and aluminum. But recycling shouldn’t stop there. At home you can also have a yard sale to recycle items your family no longer uses or you can recycle your old clothes by donating them to a charity. At work you can set the example and encourage others to recycle as well.
2. Buy Recycled Products – Most people are surprised to learn just how many recycled products are available. Automobile parts, building materials, clothes, floor coverings, paper products and toner cartridges are just a partial list.
3. Use Our NAID AAA Certified Shredding Service – If your organization is using an office shredder instead of a certified shredding service, chances are that at least one of your office employees or janitorial contractors is dumping shredded paper in the trash, instead of the recycling bin. That means your organization is not only NOT recycling all the paper they should, they’re also exposing confidential information to “dumpster divers” who can sift through your trash and then piece together strips of company information for their own personal gain. Our NAID AAA shredding will recycle all your paper with our secure recycling program, while keeping your discarded information safe.